Who We Are
A global organization that includes those states and countries whose infant mental health associations have licensed the use of the Competency Guidelines® and/or Endorsement for Culturally Sensitive, Relationship-Focused Practice Promoting Infant & Early Childhood Mental Health® under their associations’ names.
The Goals of the Alliance are to:
- Promote the relational health of infants, young children, and their families
- Support professionals who serve infants, young children, and families through workforce development that includes specialized experiences in:
- In-service training
- Reflective supervision/consultation
- Respond to interest from new infant mental health associations
- Provide technical assistance to associations who have newly licensed this workforce development system
- Assure fidelity to the use of the Endorsement® process
- Identify funding to strengthen and support the infant & early childhood mental health (IECMH) field
- Increase access to the Infant Mental Health Journal
- Support the development of an evidence base for the Infant Mental Health Home Visiting model
- Support and contribute to the development of the Reflective Interaction Observation Scale (RIOS) to define, operationalize and measure dyadic interactions in reflective supervision/consultation
- Connect infant & early childhood mental health associations to make use of shared resources
With the growth in programs serving infants, young children, and their families, the need for professionals competent in the application of IECMH principles is expanding and critical. Programs in need of IECMH-informed professionals include behavioral health, child welfare, early care & education, Early Head Start & Head Start, early intervention, health, home visiting, infant & early childhood mental health consultation, infant & early childhood mental health treatment services, and Safe Babies Court Teams & other baby courts. The specialized in-service training and reflective supervision/consultation requirements defined in the Competency Guidelines® and Endorsement® can help assure that these professionals receive the depth and breadth of knowledge and skills, along with reflective practice experiences, to integrate them into their work.